Either you stumbled upon this article because you’re feeling a bit nostalgic or you’re curious to see just how wrong or right the listicle can be. Either way, feel free to look through our compilation of signs that you grew up mexican. It’s a fun time and who doesn’t love inside jokes?
1. You feared la Chancla as a kid, and even now when you think about it you get a little shiver. La Chancla is no joke.
2. While the rest of the world is obsessed with Christmas, you know you’ve got the better deal. Santa Claus has nothing on Reyes Magos. And no one else will understand why there’s just one shoe hanging out outside your door.
3. You know that Taco Bell has nothing on real Mexican food, so when your friends talk about how they crave it and how good it is you just roll your eyes.
4. Homemade tortillas are bomb. None of that store bought stuff can ever compare. But that doesn’t mean you don’t stock the store bought ones all year round, just to be sure there’s always some around.
5. Speaking of food, you never need caterers. The size of the importance of the event doesn’t matter, your family can cook the food. Like that’s what tia was put on this earth to do and ordering caterers is just ridiculous.
6. Your mother is convinced Vaporub is a magical healing potion that will cure everything including but not limited to a sore throat, a cold, fever, any pains and perhaps even cancer.
7. You’re annoyed by the stereotypes, but you can’t deny that there’s definitely a Jose, Juan, Jesus, Maria or Guadalupe in your family.
8. Religion is something that’s ingrained into you from early childhood. Like seeing candles and crosses all over the house just doesn’t faze you. It’s all good. I mean you probably know someone who has a Virgin of Guadalupe on their car.
9. You have so many relatives you’re convinced you’ll never be able to remember them all. Every time you go to Mexico you meet someone new like an aunt who’ll tell you they remember you when you were still a baby, but you have no recollection of them. Or a cousin you’ve never seen before. But hey, you love them all dearly. The more – the merrier.
10. Everyone makes fun of telenovelas. But you know that telenovelas are simultaneously the best and the worst thing on TV.
11. While everyone in the States is convinced Oprah is the best woman on television, you know that Christina is better.
12. Your family takes football very seriously. Watching a game is no joke. And screaming “goal” for as long as possible is like a competition.